Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sunday, Nov 2- latest news from ICU

I slept ok last night...maybe 4+ hours.

The pain from left rotator cuff moved to left hip and down hamstring.  I felt like it was beginning to tear, so I had nurse wrap it in AC bandage at 2:00 am.  This morning was much worse, so I had ice pack put under bandage.  A little while ago a doctor came and inspected it.  She thought it had weakened, but had not torn.  Just keep ice on it.  They are also going to get me some cough medicin.  

About returning to BMT 8th floor (my latest goal in life)?  First, I must qualify by receiving oxygen in single digits.  Yesterday, they reduced my flow rate per minute from 12 litters per minute down to  8 and were able to maintain same oxygene level of 95%.  BMT wanted to see min of 92%.  They turned down oxygen again and my oxygen level actually increased to 97%.  So, it's beginning to look favorable to my return to 8th floor today!  A very big yea!  This will allow me more freedom to move around and get better than is permitted in ICU.

What about permission to drink?  No such luck till at least Mon or Tuesday.  Docs want to see improvement in my nerve, not just pneumonia...which has no time goal just yet.

Just saw ICU doc.  He listened to my lungs and thought pneumonia sounded much better and noted I was way down on oxygen.  He will recommend to BMT on 8 that I return.

Surgeons may talk with oncologists today to see if they want or really need info that would justify ignoring three risk factors: my level of oxygen, blood clot and high blood pressure.  Head surgeon won't return till Monday to make final call.

I will update this post throughout the day.

1 comment:

  1. Doug,
    Wow... your weekend had a bunch of excitement!! I read your blog posts yesterday but could not reply from iphone... unusual?? I've replied from iphone before... or at least I thought I had. Glad to hear that the Head Surgeon will be back tomorrow and you will get some resolution. You continue to amaze me with your strong upward look, faith and strength in God!! For me... I will continue to pray over you Doug. Look forward to your next update!!
    Your friend and brother in Christ!!
    Randal

    ReplyDelete