Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday, Nov 4 ~ Very Bad News

Dr. V came by with several residents and her PA. She told us, based on a blood telimit*#ry (?) test that the aggressive leukemia had returned. The biopsy isn't necessary. This is very bad news.  They might have tried a second transplant if it were 6 months past the first transplant. But it isn't even 100.

The strategy right now is do a strong dose of steroids. Hopefully it will calm done the nerves, keep the leukemia at bay, and help with the pneumonia and bowel infection. The goal is to get rid of these infections. I am dying (no pun intended) for a diet coke. They said maybe tomorrow. It depends on the esophagus and how well I'm swallowing. The pain is in different parts of my body is excruciating.

M.D. Anderson in Houston is doing a clinical trial of some medicine that might help me. I am not strong enough right now to qualify. So, getting rid of the infections is important. 

In a couple of days they may do another round of chemo.  At this point the survival rate is about 10%.
I figure I've got around 10 days to turn this around.

I know that you can do all things; no plan of ever can be thwarted. Job 42:2


6 comments:

  1. Doug, I read your post last night and was emotional... writing these words seems so easy compared to what you are going through... your pain, your sense of not knowing the direction of your condition, your path of treatment... etc. etc. etc. This I know and can promise to you... I am praying for you every day!! I know you have amazing faith in God and SUPER strong support from your family and friends!! What ever path God takes you, I know you are in his hands!! On a lighter note... hope you get that Diet Coke today!! My personal trainer/dietitian forbids that luscious liquid... I haven't had one in 12 weeks!! So if you get one... Enjoy!!
    Heavenly Father, I lift up Doug to you oh Lord. I pray that you will strengthen him, continue to be with him and that your healing hand will be upon him. Remove all fear and doubt from his heart by the power of your Holy Spirit, and may you, Lord, be glorified through his life. All of this I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ryan, you are such a mighty man of God! Our hearts break for you and I am so grateful that you know Who has your hand through all this. Our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.Ryan, I read your update and my heart is so heavy for you and your family. I can't imagine how difficult this journey has been. But I am so grateful that you are clinging to God. We love you and are praying for you. And I must say, you are so funny even in such challenging circumstances. I hope you get your coke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though you probably do not really know us, we know you and have followed your family...even up the steps of the castles in Europe as you and your wife journeyed there!!! Little did you know that through your daughter, Katie, the Shead Family has felt close to you, crying with your trials, laughing when there is victory, and trusting God's plan when there doesn't seem to be answers. Yes! Through the family of God, we are part of your struggles as well as your faith and love. We love your daughter very much and now her new husband that we have never met. We love your son and know that God has a great plan for his life. We love your sweet wife who has shown great courage beyond anyone else that we have known. And, we love you, who with such an unwavering faith in God, have run more than foot races. You have run many types of races through this life! You have been a winner in each of those races as they have come your way. Your story is far from over as it is just beginning to be written. The Shead Family will continue to pray for you, your wife, your daughter and son in-law and your son. You are all precious to us. Larry and Vickie Shead

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug I continue to pray for you, I believe that our glorious God gives great skill and knowledge to our doctors to repair the human body however the human body never came with a manual it remains with our maker therefore it is only he who has the ability to fully repair keep the faith and strength brother as you have continued to do. Gods blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug we stand with you fully confident that He is able...love you buddy! You shall live and declare the goodness our our God..

    ReplyDelete