Saturday, September 28, 2013

Durango

We had what Trek calls a 'rolling recovery' day: 45 miles with only 3,000 feet of climbing, although we passed 8,000 feet in elevation.  Everyone feared it might get cold going over the mountain, especially on the decent.  So, we layered up with wind booties, long sleeve running shirts, leg and arm warmers, and jackets.  In the end, it was pleasant and we peeled off layers as we rode.  Tomorrow is scheduled as another easy day with a late (8:00) start.  We're tapering in preparation for Monday's epic 140-miler, with 8,100 feet of climbing.  Thankfully, the final 60 is mostly downhill.  Everyone's a bit intimidated with the Taos ride, but our guides tell us we're riding well and will all make it.  They're more worried about the five days across the Oklahoma prairies and the Oklahoma mountains (wind, lots of it).  I'm riding mostly with Denis.  He's a real gentleman, with an easy nature and a quick laugh.

Yesterday Rustin,our guide passed me and said, 'Man, you've got the most muscular calves I've ever seen.'  Now, understand, he's paid to say things like that.  Also, his legs are about twice the size of mine.  Even so, it was good to hear, especially with Taos looming on the horizon.

I ate with Sally, 67, and Paul, 70, the other night.  I identify with Sally's funny comment, 'In my next life, I want to be fast; rather than, an inspiration.'  Denis and I could ride faster, but we enjoy stopping to look around and take pictures.  We're pacing ourselves.  Atleast that's our excuse.

Below is a shot of everyone getting ready to pull away from the hotel this morning.  That's me on the side of the road, with my third-eye mirror.  Finally, a view of a CO ranch and the river from the balcony of my hotel room.  It's great to lay in bed and just listen to the water slosh by.




No comments:

Post a Comment