Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lobster Pot

Another 60 miles and 4,000 foot of climbing are done.  Now, I'm soaking my sore muscles in the 110 degree Lobster Pot at The Resort in Pagosa Springs.  It got hot quickly, so I laid by the river trying to get sun on my forehead and feet, which are looking a little white.  You got to give Trek credit, we're staying at some nice hotels.  Seligman was a 1940's motel that looked like something Johnny Cash might have stayed for a night, but Tuba City, Durango and tonight were excellent.  It's fun to roll into a city and see something nice.  The trip has been as advertised.  

Today wasn't a picnick by the side of the road.  We stopped at an organic farm.  I had a wonderful chicken panini.  We were all in a good mood, due to a six mile decent through beautiful CO.

Tomorrow; however, is another day.  At 6:00 a.m. we ride our bikes down the road for breakfast.  We'll plrobably be peddeling down the road, or I should say up the road, by 6:30.  We'll ride 140.7 miles and climb 8,123 feet, topping out at an elevation of 10,500 feet.  From the map, it looks like most of the climbing is beteen 55 and 80 miles, with a lot downhill towards the end.  Start early; don't stop at the van long; stay focused on what you're doing--not what's left.  Once we arrive in Taos, NM, we're at probably the nicest resort of the trip and have a rest day on Tuesday.  

I have't seen a scale in a few days, but suspect my weight is about the same (180).  My pulse this morning was 57, which is up about 10 beats per minute for me.  I feel fine and simply blame it on all the miles and elevation.  

Rustin put some new cleates on my shoes a couple days ago. They were new when I left Santa Barbara, but as Jeff, who road XC in 2010, warned me-- you do a lot of walking on this trip.  I bought an extra pair of clets in Durango, but couldn't find any covers--it's a mountain bike town.




1 comment:

  1. You're having too much fun, Doug. Where's the pain and suffering? Hot tub too hot? My, my.

    ReplyDelete