Friday, September 13, 2013

My Adventure is About to Begin

On Sept 15th, I’ll begin a 40-day 3,200 mile bike ride across the USA. The ride will begin at the Pacific Ocean in Santa Barbara, CA and pass through the Grand Canyon, Taos, Branson, Nashville, and finish in Charleston, SC, where I’ll dip my wheel in the Atlantic Ocean. For more info on the ride see the TrekTravel website atwww.trektravel.com/trip/cross-country-usa-2013-bike-tour/ If you want to automatic emails of my blog, put your email address in the first box on the blog and hit Submit

Many of you know, I used to be an ultra-runner, but haven’t been able to run since a childhood curvature of the spine condition got worse. Two years ago, I was also diagnosed with stage IV, Follicular non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The doctor told me I had 25 tumors and that the it had spread to my bone marrow. Fortunately, the cancer is slow growing and I have not had to take any chemo treatments. So, I thought it would be a good idea to do this ride while I am still in excellent health.

During the past year, I’ve ridden 12,000 training miles (counting my stationary bike) and have worked out twice a week with my personal trainer. I’ve now begun tapering and have been spending a lot of time at bike shops and REI buying winter and rain gear. During the ride, temperatures are expected to range between 28 and a 110 degrees, so I’ve packed everything from sun screen to foot warmers. 

 As many of you know, my darling wife, Sherry, has been seriously handicapped with MS and recently retired from teaching at UNT. While I’m on my adventure, we’ve arranged several friends to stay with her to make sure she’s ok. Sherry and I are Christians and believe John 6:63: “The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing.” We plan to live life abundantly and trust God.

As you might have guessed, this ride is a fund-raiser. Sherry and I have two missionary friends, Charlie and Pat Reynolds, who founded Gerizim Christian School in 2006. This is an elementary school that serves a very poor area of Chimaltenangeo, Guatemala, and the kids need a gymnasium. It will cost $70,000 to buy the land and build the building. Sherry and I have donated the first $10,000 and have applied for matching funds from Gateway Church, South Lake, TX. You can find pictures and information about the school at their web site: http://hisappointedtime.com. If you would like to make a donation, you can access a direct link to their donations page at: http://jacoboperez.com/hisappointedtime/?page_id=159, or by mailing a check to: His Appointed Time Ministries, P. O. Box 1351, Snyder, TX 79550.

Pat Reynolds and Students

Charlie Reynolds

and Kids


Gerizim girls

No comments:

Post a Comment