Friday, October 11, 2013

Branson And A Day Off

Denis and I rode together for 89 miles with 4,900 feet of ascent.  We came around one corner and suddenly faced a steep hill in the wrong gears.  We somehow forced the bikes to the top, where we heard a guy on his front porch laughing at us.  I'd whine about how challenging it was, except tomorrow is 101 with 7,300 feet of climbing.  Some consider it the second hardest day of the XC. I'm taking a nap this afternoon and would turn in early tonight, but 'with four hungry children and a crop in the field' we're off to see a 8:00 Kenny Rogers show.

A couple people have asked if the XC is turning out like I thought.  Yep, but it's similar to Bill Murry in Ground Hog Day.  We just keep getting up at 5:30 and doing the same thing over and over.  I seriously don't remember what city we left or even where we're going. It's odd.  A group will meet today for lunch at 12:00, which seems so strange to me.  I'm used to meeting them somewhere between 47 and 66 miles.  I've lost fat and gained muscle, but am feeling sort of beat up.  I wish I could sleep better, but just feel sore and my legs cramp.  But, it's just so much fun!  Nobody's dropping out and we have sufficient time to complete each ride.  We only raced sunset coming into Taos.  Sometimes it's a long day, but you just keep turning the crank till 2:30 or 4:00, or however long it takes.  

The people on the trip are very nice.  We got to meet Allen last night, who is Sally's  husband.  I'm sure he was unprepared to meet us.  He didn't know us, but we know all about him...including the time right after 9/11 when he took her to the airport and forgot he had two, large solid fuel rockets in the back of his pick up.  He just did a presentation at a school and had all the necessary AT&F forms, but as one of the federal agents explained to Sallie, "Yes, this will take a long time."

Attached are some MO photos, including a map we held up to the van.  It's amazing how far we've ridden.




No comments:

Post a Comment