Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I am a tree in a story about a forest.

One should get a little reflective after a 3,300 miles.  It's been a great adventure, but my lymphoma & back pain, deals at work and Sherry's MS haven't gone away.  One of the real benefits of the XC was the time to be contaplative.  Robin Tull, my roommate from Oral Roberts University and financial advisor, gave me an interesting book, A Million Miles In A Thousand Years, by Donald Miller.  It put the biblical story of Job into perspective for me.  God was saying, I know what I'm doing, and this whole thing isn't about you.  Job found contentment and even joy outside the context of comfort, health, or even stability.  He learned to care more about the story than he did about himself.  I loved the Victor Frankl quote-- I'm a tree in a story about a forest and the story about the forest is better than the story about the tree.

When we were kids my brother, Don, used to tell a syntax joke, 'What's that in the road a head?'  Well, the answer is, yep, Doug's head.  Three days ago, we found Peter struggling to change a flat.  My back was killing me, so while Denis and Kevin changed the tire and pumped up the tube, I laid down on the slope beside the road and fell asleep, with my head in the road.  I guess that shot won't make the next Trek Travel brochure.

Rustin said the batteries for our electronic shifters should last 2,000 miles; however, they charge ours every 10 days, politely implying that we shift too much.  I think my problem arises during long climbs.  I'm already on the small ring and the easiest gear, but repeatedly hit the button looking for just one more.

I outed Sallie.  Turns she didn't want her husband and sister to be concerned about her, so she didn't tell them about being hit by a car.  Her strategy had one flaw, they read my blog.  Alls well that ends well.  She's feeling better and will ride to Charleston.  We split a Margherita pizza tonight.  I'll miss talking to her every day after we leave Charleston.

Below you can see me taking Peter's photo and the Rose Hill Plantation, which turned out to be a fun side trip this afternoon.  There's also a good shot with Denis, who's been my trusted navigator and riding partner.

Like life, this has been about the journey, not the destination; however, that's about  to change.





No comments:

Post a Comment