Monday, October 21, 2013

Low Blood Sugar

Thankfully, today's ride was shorter.  After some early climbing, we even got a very long down hill into Chimney Rock, but I still ended up tired and grumpy.  Spartanberg's downtown is mostly boarded up.  When Scott checked into the hotel, they asked him where he left his bike.  When he told them it was outside, they quickly told him, "Don't do that."

At one point Kevin, Lorie & Jim, Denis and I all received a Garmin direction to turn right.  It wasn't consistent with our printed sheet and didn't seem to make much sense.  We're all stopped along side the road studying our I-phones and debating how to reach Spartenberg.  Remember, Trek Travel routes us on scenic back roads that seldom go anywhere directly.  A very old couple were sitting on their front porch just watching us.  After a while we began to point down one road.  The old guys said, "I'd come down and help you, but Granny needs to eat.  It's been about a half hour since she had anything and she's getting testy."  I knew just how she felt.

Lunch was a little, rural deli that was a hoot. The food was good, although I felt I was in a Hee Haw episode.  After I ate my sandwich, I picked up a Moonpie; we're down South after all.  Before I knew it, there was a run on Moonpies. I don't think any of us had had one in 25 years.

We crossed the South Carolina border, which makes our 11th, and most importantly, our last state.  102 miles is on the schedule for  tomorrow, which will be something like our 14th century + ride.

It's weird I haven't driven a car or gone to Pei Wei on 40 days.  I'm home sick, especially for my darling wife, who will greet me at the Atlatic Ocean.






2 comments:

  1. You made it to South Carolina!! Closing in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me congratulate you on this trek Doug. Proud of you buddy! Lookiung forward to the debrief.

    ReplyDelete