Thursday, October 3, 2013

Church

I guess I'm just not a morning person.  This was our 19th day and we're still not halfway (almost).  The riding is the easy part; however, the routine gets tiring.  

After touring the Greater Raton metroplex, we climbed a very steep hill for three miles, which had everyone huffing and puffing.  We then passed through a magical area where the deer and the antelope literally play.  Jen was leading our small group when she startled 5 mule deer, which jumped the fence and sprang across the road maybe 10 feet in front of her.  Later, Denis and I passed a Springbuck buck frantically chasing a female all over the place.  Both made multiple, simultaneous 90 degree turns all across a field.  Dang!  I'm glad Sherry didn't make me work that hard to catch her.

Several months ago, Sherry had a university conference in Porto, Portugal, that we turned into a vacation.  We took the time to visit St. James cathedral in Santiago de Compestella. Spain.  It was a very spiritual pilgrimage that inspired my faith.  I'm riding this XC with a shell painted with a cross, which is the symbol of the Apostle St. James.  Today, I celebrated Christendom on the other side of the bell curve.  We came across the small St. John church, sitting alone on the prairie.  I've read about it in a blog from someone who made the XC trip last year and knew it would be unlocked.  It was a special place.  Denis and I went inside and signed the guest book.  I prayed for my darling wife.  Over a 100 years ago, the area had a population sufficient to support this church.  Now, it's one ranch.

Regarding 'wife maintenance', I decided to adopt a jewelry campaign.  I bought five peices in Taos (some antique and some new).  I mailed one two days ago and have the others in stamped packages in my suitcase.  Every four days, I'll drop another present in the mail.  If you do the math, it's clear I'm a couple short.  So, I'll keep my eyes open as I cross America.  Sherry's very supportive of my trip, but I understand it was a big ask.  She's a trooper!

Below are some pictures of the church, prairie, a group of us riding in a pace line, and a shot of the flags whipping in the NM wind.  I enjoyed today very much.  

The group is splitting into two parties tonight.  One is off to another steak restaurant.  The rest of us are walking to Pizza Hut.










1 comment:

  1. I have the best husband in the world! Isn't he awesome? I got a beautiful silver and turquoise antique pin in the mail today. How special!

    ReplyDelete