Saturday, October 5, 2013

Lucky With Weather

It was chilly in the beginning, but I managed to dress appropriately:  skull cap, heavy gloves, neoprene toe covers, tights for my legs, bike shorts, a high tech running shirt (with a very shinny interior; like the insulated blankets they wrap around you after marathons), jersey, and wind jacket.  I felt just right.  After 30 miles, I began to drop layers as the sun came out and it warmed up.  

It's odd to spend so much time with people on the bike.  I heard a thoroughly fascinating 3 hour history of how Jim built and sold his successful business.  In normal life, it would have been condenced to about 10 minutes.  But, with 126 miles on a bike, one has the luxury of getting the whole story...what else are you going to do?

I think we rode about 126 miles today, but it was just a long, patient day.  OK is only really flat if you're driving a car.  When you're on a bike you notice a lot of rollers.  The best news was smooth pavement and a quartering tailwind for the last 30 miles.

Massages:  I get one every other day (none on rest days).  Tara has a mean elbow that gets way down into the tight muscles.

Laundry:  Mosy days I just rinse out my bike gear in the sink and hang it outside for an hour and then in room overnight.  Not every hotel has a laundry.  Yesterday, I was late and had to wait three cycles for a turn.  It just takes a long time hanging around in the hall or lobby waiting for one washing machine to come open.

Below is a map of No Man's Land (our route); Denis on the bike; sunrise over Guyman, OK; a double rumble strip; and a really big spider crossing the highway.

Love.





1 comment:

  1. Those are some incredible colors in that sunrise picture!

    ReplyDelete