Friday, October 4, 2013

Easy Day

Clayton, NM's claim to fame was the hanging of Black Jack Ketchum, who was a rather famous train robber, who once road with the Hole In The Wall Gang.  Apparently the hanging was like a county fair; people came from all around to witness the event.  The execution was successful, but messy, since Black Jack lost his head.  The odd thing about this historical footnote was that I read the story and saw four graphic 8.5x11 photos on the wall at Dairy Queen.  Dairy Queen!  I guess this is the Wild West.  

I've mentioned the wind has blown pretty hard at times.  Yesterday, the wind blew a door completely off the trailer.  Our guides were able to find a welder who could stop by the hotel last night and make the repair.

Thank you all for your generous contributions for the gym for the little school in Guatemala.  To date, we have raised $25,470!  If you would like to contribute (again):

Http://jacoboperez.com/hisappointedtime/?page_id=159

Or, mail a check to:

His Appointed Time Ministries
P. O. Box 1351
Snyder, TX 79550

Today's 106-miler was an easy effort.  We had a tailwind this morning that made the first 48 miles fast.  Denis and I rode between 22-26 mph.  After lunch a different highway pointed us into a strong crosswind, but we still worked around 17-18 mph into Guyman, OK, where we stopped at Braum's for shakes.

Next year Trek Travel is going to give the Santa Barbara to Charleston trip a rest.  There will be a new northern route from Portland to Portland.  The trip already has18 guests signed up and will max out at 25.

Below is a group shot at the Oklahoma border.  The monument looks like it was shot with a 45 revolver... Probably by UT fans on the way to a football game.  There's a shot I took of a very old windmill and one of me taking the shot.  Denis also took a couple photos of me on the bike.  If you look at the first Doug on bike pic, you can see that I tend to stiff arm it wit my left arm, which causes my left shoulder to ride high and my left hand to get too much pressure and go numb.  I've got 26 degrees of curviture of the spine, but I'm trying to figure out how to ride more square on the bike.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment