Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday, Sept 15: HVGD

After a bone marrow transplant, GVHD (Graf vs host disease) is something to take seriously.  About a week ago it attacked my digestive system.  The doc gave me the steroid Budesonide, which goes through the body and only affects the intestines; it's helped a lot.  Now GVHD attacked a second system- my skin.  Dr Patel prescribed another steroid- Prednisone.  This is a powerful drug that may make me jittery and is associated with muscle breakdown.  I'm sure I've lost at least 16 pounds of muscle mass since May.  I was encouraged to lift some weights, which may be problematic since I'm always so tired.  I was also prescribed a steroid cream, which I can't wait to get from the pharmacy.  The skin on my face, neck and upper back is red and VERY irritated.  I couldn't sleep last night and certainly feel in pain today.  So, is this bad news?  Not really.  It's more expected as part of the transplant process and should be managed by the new drugs.  Dr Patel reminded me that some GVHD issues is a good thing.  It means the new bone marrow is likely attacking any leukemia cells in my body.  It certainly puts a scare into me and forces me to respect the risk factors.  I was supposed to get some infusion today, but it was delayed till Thursday due to paperwork with the insurance provider.  My lab work looked good this morning.  Platelets were 105,000, which means I can return to giving myself tummy shots of Lovenox for my blood clot.  I'm blessed that I have a good doctor who's paying close attention to my symptoms.  Bottom line-  manage HVGD with drugs and stay on track for long term remission and possibly cured of two incurable cancers.

Colossians 1:10-12. "And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of The Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light."

My prayer- God give me patience to deal with this skin rash-- NOW!

P.S.  I said something to Sherry yesterday that I haven't said in 33 years of marriage:  "I don't trust you further than I can throw you."  I caught her rolling towards the back door handicap ramp with her breakfast and cell phone precariously balance on a cutting board laid across her lap.  I quickly took it from her and delivered it outside.  Seriously, pray for her to get stronger (she's pumping iron right now at the UNT gym).  She's fallen a few times in the past couple weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you can start with the Lovenox... hopefully it will dissolve that clot and get BIG FOOT deflated!! Love the verses from Colossians!! Have an AWESOME day!!

    ReplyDelete