Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thursday, Sept 25: ultra quote

Things continue to go well.  My GI issues are calming down and the rash that drove me crazy two weeks ago has faded away to almost nothing.  I went to the clinic and learned my blood numbers look fine.  I had another chest x-Ray to confirm I don't have pneumonia.  I'm not having any more mini-blackouts when I stand up too quickly and my energy is coming back.  I rode my stationary bike for an hour yesterday and have taken several neighborhood walks with Sherry and Callie, our 12 year old miniature Schnauzer.

I tend to interpret life through the prism of Christianity and running, or to be more accurate now, endurance exercise.  To The Edge is an interesting book written by Kirk Johnson.  He's a New York Times reporter who wrote about running Badwater, a 135-mile ultra run across Death Valley in 125 degree heat.  I understand the following quote isn't scripture, but to me it sounds like some passage from Hebrews translated into 'runner':

"Getting up from the side of the road at 43 miles had been an act of pure faith-- I really didn't know how my crisis would end, but I believed an answer could be found.  And that faith was, in turn, what had created the answer itself.  It was another paradox of the ultra marathon:  By moving you figure out how to move.  By believing that an untapped source of strength exists, it becomes manifest."

That's what God wants us to do:  have faith and move forward.


2 comments:

  1. Bet you are just checking to see if we read your blog closely..."Prison of Christianity" or is it the "Prism of Christianity"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad to hear your're doing better!!

    ReplyDelete