Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday, August 1st

I had six appointments on the schedule today , which included 2.5 hours of meetings with the social worker, insurance person and the transplant coordinator.  I also had a PET scan of heart and a lung test, which proved annoying.  Sit in an air tight phone booth and repeatedly blow into a mouthpiece until I was blue in the face, only to hear the tech say 'just three more seconds'.  It was tiring.  I don't really know that Sherry and I learned very much new info.  I get admitted Aug 13 and start chemo bright and early on 14th.  I've had all the drugs before, but nowhere near these doses.  I think the phrase was, "You'll feel like you got hit by a truck."  There's pretty much a guarantee of some throwing up and diarrhea for a couple days.  But, the hospital is the place to be.  Yea, they take blood and vitals every two hours, but the nurses are right there with drugs to help you feel better.  It also sounds like the process will take maybe four weeks: six days of chemo to kill everything, then drop the bag of bone marrow and watch what happens.  I think it is customary for everyone to get sick and feel ill.  You just hope no rejection sets in.  It also sounds like the first 30-60 days at home are very hard.  I already feel whipped, but I guess there is a lot more room to feel weak and tired.  The goal, of course, is to win...to live another 30 years and chase Sherry around the house again (which sure hasn't happened since I started getting chemo).

The ride home was interesting.  Sherry just stayed in her wheel chair, locked in behind the driver's seat.  Traffic suddenly stopped on I-35.  I turned sharply to the shoulder and she hit the floor.  We couldn't get her back, so she road the next eight miles on the floor.  Hoisting her back to the chair really tired me out and I 'm sure sent my pulse north of 150.  It's amazing how much fitness I've lost in two months of chemo, etc.  Sherry, by the way is well and we ate a nice meal at Macaroni Grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment