Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sat, Aug 16

Officially I am day -5.   Thursday is the transplant and I start getting positive numbers.  The docs watch the first 100 days very closely.  They say they're giving me stronger doses of chemo.  All I know is I'm getting 16 IV bags of Busulfan, one every six hours before they move on to the other drugs.  I had a little upset bowl movement today, but that seems to have passed.

I read an impressive quote today:  "The strongest of all warriors are these two:  Time and Patience."  Tolstoy, War and Peace.  To be honest I was reading Damn Few, an interesting book about US Navy Seals.  Having Tolstoy's name makes it more impressive, but I don't know if it helps me very much.  I like Psalm 44:5-8:  "Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes.  I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame.  In God we make our boast all day long, and we praise your name forever."  Fighting cancer is just different.  It helps that I'm strong and have a positive attitude.  The docs like to see me exercise every day.  Today, I walked the halls for two hours, which was all my crooked back and left leg (blood clot) would allow.  The medical odds are in my favor; however, success simply is not determined by what I can do.  There's a nice guy across the hall scheduled for a transplant the day before me.  The hard fact is one of us probably won't make it; one of us will.  Being in control of things is often an illusion.  However, the one thing I understand is that God's a good God and He's in control, no matter how this thing turns out.

Docs gave me some drug today for restless leg syndrome.  The last couple nights I went to bed early, but didn't fall asleep till 2:30-3:00.  Leg twitching?  Most of you will probably feel sorry for me, but Sherry and Drew put up with this every night and probably aren't interested I'm hearing my war stories. ;). Oh well, my darling wife brought Eat Z's for supper.  She still loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment