Sunday, June 1, 2014

Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

It has been about 7 months since the XC bike ride. Since the ride, I experienced a "spontaneous" regression, which means that my largest lymphoma tumor disappeared without drugs. This was unusual good news.   

However, I began feeling sick three weeks ago: chills, nausea, weight loss, fatigue, bleeding, etc. I then developed a upper respiratory and sinus infection, although I knew it was just a symptom. So I moved my oncologist appointment up a couple months.

My blood work showed a dramatic reversal: my LDH rose from a steady 182 to 6,650. My white blood cells were 10x too high. My platelets, which should have been 200-300 were 8 (in thousands). My kidneys and my liver were shutting down and I had internal bleeding. My oncologist took one look at me and immediately had me admitted to UT Southwestern St. Paul's Hospital. Just for precaution, I can't have flowers.  

Apparently, my Follicular Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma transformed into Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, which is much more serious, aggressive (meaning, it will kill you in three months if left alone). An analysis of individual bone marrow cells shows the evidence of both lymphoma and leukemia in the same cell, which indicates that it's a transformation rather than a new cancer dropping on top of the old one. Comparing my two bone marrow biopsies/aspirations, the first was three years ago, the presence of cancer (now leukemia) increased from 5% to 90%. All I know is that it's not a good sign to have 'blastic' embedded in the title of my disease.

I started chemo yesterday since this is so dangerous. I dodged one risk factor: the Philadelphia gene, but tripped over a couple others. The cure rate is maybe 30% and survival rate about 60% (hard to explain difference). Generally speaking, life expectancy is far lower. I probably won't return to work; time for retirement. This kind of transformation is especially rare. They have never seen it at either UT Southwestern or the the Mayo Clinic. Live or die, I will be the subject of many case studies  in medical journal articles.

My wife, Sherry, who has Multiple Sclerosis, has arranged for someone to stay with her while I am here in hospital for at least 30 days.

God is a good God.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Doug So sorry to hear about this change in your health status but you are in wonderful hands and you and Sherry will be in our thoughts and prayers as you work your way through to recovery. Take it one step at a time and know that you are an incredibly strong and focused person and that the mind is a powerful thing. We believe in your ability to recover! We will contact Sherry to see what we can do to help. Gayle and Victor

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're one tough dude, Doug. Best of all you have the best right attitude. Our family's prayers are with you and your overcoming any and all medical challenges in the days ahead. Bruce Kirschner

    ReplyDelete