Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday, June 30

Tired.  I feel fine, but get winded very easily.  I walked into the clinic today and sat down for 10 minutes before a nurse took my vitals.  My pulse was 130.  The doc asked if I was still working out.  Yes, but only if you count walking around the house as exercise.  She said not to worry; it comes with chemo. The first round (A and B weeks) came and went with little hassle: a few headaches, three throw-ups, and some tired days.  My weight has dropped 14 pounds, from 191 to 177.  I've lost a lot of muscle mass from being mostly in bed for five weeks.  I may miss the muscles on July 14 when I go back into the hospital for five more days of chemo (A).  There just isn't anything to do about it now.  Too tired.

My brother, Don, turned out not to be a bone marrow match; however, Dr Patel said they found hundreds of matches on the national data base.  I guess I fell in the genetic sweet spot.  They hope to narrow the list down to maybe three willing young men and do it early August.  The state of my disease must fall below 0.2% leukemia in bone marrow to proceed.  It was 0.45% (down from 93%) before the last five days of chemo.  Then, the transplant has a success rate of about 60%.  The odds fall to 10% if the leukemia returns and they are able to attempt a second transplant.  So, the 0.2% looks within reach the the odds are I will have a successful transplant.  The four hurdles I had to hit in a row appear to be down to one or two.  The doc ordered another bone marrow biopsy in about 10 days.  Can you say 'zzzzzzzzz'?  (Sorry, that was the sound of the power drill going into my hip again.

Ok, it sounds like I will have many bone marrow matches to choose from; however, other cancer patients won't be so lucky.  If you would like to join the registry (I did it 25 years ago), all you need to do is Google 'Be The Match'.  It tells you how.

I'm going to pass along a verse a friend sent me, Jeremiah 29:21:  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares The Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  I like this verse.  I claim it.  However, I understand it's not an Easy button.  We don't control Him; He loves us, which is great by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment