Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday, June 6

When do I get out?  My blood counts have been falling, but not fast enough.  The docs can give me red blood and platelets from IV bags, but I must grow back my ANC (absolute neutrophil count).   ANC cells are the white blood cells that fight bacterial infections.  The Doc said, "Chemo sets off a nuclear bomb in your bone marrow and kills everything; red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets, but it takes time for the white blood cells to grow back.  When it's grown back to an appropriate level, then we will be able to discharge you.  Some people take two to three weeks.  Some people take a little longer.  I expect for you, about 2-3 weeks.  The ANC is the most important indicator of the effectiveness of the chemo therapy.  ANC is supposed to go to almost 0.  It will stay there for 4-5 days and then start growing back.  When you're at 500, you're ok to be discharged."

There was talk of giving me another bone marrow biopsy on day 14 (today is day 7), but it has been delayed to day 28.  This relates back to my bizarre transformation from lymphoma to leukemia.  Doc said everything seemed to be working and they would just spare me the process.  Which is probably another way of saying they are doing all they can and there just isn't any reason to look any earlier.

I weighed in around 180.6, which was down 5.5 pounds from yesterday.  I guess it's mostly from peeing off fluids.  My Hobbit feet are gradually returning to normal.

I rode an hour on the stationary bike yesterday.  That was an important PR (personal record) for me.  I went 65 minutes without peeing...by far the longest time since I was admitted.  ;)

It's funny how my thinking is distorted.  I had a very bad concussion in college and was in a coma for a week.  I recovered well, but have always had trouble with names.  Two poeple I know real well came by yesterday and I really struggled to pull up their names.  Then I passed two nurses in the hall and spoke both their names.  Marion said, "Wow, you know everybody's name.  That's impressive."  I have a different group of nurses every day and night.  Remembering their names is more like a party  trick. If I keep saying their name in a sentence it seems to stick in my short term memory.

I had a very good day yesterday.  I listened to Pastor Todd's sermon about James.  Todd is the lead paster at Watermark Church and a guy I've worked out with during personal training sessions.  His message dealt with dealing with challenges, which of course I seem to have in abundance right now.  I'm simply not concerned about this.  I don't feel angry with God.  I'm at peace and know God loves me.


No comments:

Post a Comment