Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday, June 24: Back in Hospital for More Chemo

Vacation's over; back to work.  My new labs seemed to indicate an elevated creatinine level, which raises a concern about my kidneys.  So, chemo was delayed a day and I received continuous bags of fluids.  I noticed the first IV was turned up to a very high flow rate.  After a while, a nurse came in and asked if the loud noise was annoying me.  Excuse me, is this a trick question?  Yes, it annoys me, but what am I disposed to do about it?  The chemo and leukemia also annoy me.  Can you just please take them away?  I divided my evening between relaxing a peeing every 25 minutes, until about 10:30 when they wheeled me down to have an ultra-sound look at my kidneys.  Someone was obviously taking something much more seriously than I was.  However, in the morning the doc said bone marrow biopsy showed only a residual trace of leukemia (down from 93%) in my bone marrow.  A couple other reports are outstanding, but it looks like the chemo is working.  No one knows why I seem dehydrated, but the numbers are improving and ultra-sound looked good.  I'll start chemo later this morning.

A nurse startled me yesterday when he said he wasn't very busy since they just lost two patients.  After seeing the
look on my face, he quickly added, "they went home."  I hope to get lost in another 4 days myself.

My new room, 802, is located right across from the nurses station, as opposed to my original room which was at the end of the hall.  I try to be compliant, but I guess they wanted to keep a closer watch over me this time.

I weighed 181 when admitted.  This morning totaled 181.7.

Notes from talk with Dr Patel.  They are still doing tests from last Friday's bone marrow biopsy, but she is very happy with what they know.  When I was admitted the leukemia was 93%.  She was hoping for less than 5% and it came in at 0.45% (less than 1%).  She also said it looks like the new bone marrow cells are getting better.  This week's chemo should be over by Friday, but they may keep me Saturday to watch my kidneys.  We should hear by the end of the week if my brother, Don, is a donor match.  If he is, they won't look for other matches on the national database; they will use him (assuming I'm still willing to vote for Hillary in '16.). ;).   Since Dr Patel just looked and I am in remission, there won't be another bone marrow biopsy until we're ready for transplant.  And we go to transplant as soon as there is a donor.  By the time the donor is found and prepared, I'll still need another round of chemo.  Transplant is 6-8 weeks, hopefully.

James 6:63-65 says, "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing.  The words I have spoken to you--they are full of the Spirit and life"...In verse 65, Jesus went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the father has enabled them."  Here's my prayer, 'Father enable me to understand verse 63:  The Spirit gives life; the leukemia counts for nothing.  MS counts for nothing.  All of our problems count for nothing.  The words you have spoken are full of the Spirit and life.'


1 comment: