Tuesday, June 3, 2014

June 3, 2014

Leukemia notes:

June 3- hear I am getting 'sledge hammer chemo'; apparently I was very sick upon admittance.  Equate very low/bad numbers with very aggressive leukemia.

However, I've had few side effects and am muscled up and am such good shape and health (otherwise) that is seem to be taking chemo well

Hemoglobin is down, which sounds typical for so much chemo.
White blood count should be 4-11 (1,000s).  I arrived with 92,000.  It was 36 yesterday and 27 today.

Sounds like they may do another bone marrow biopsy soon to judge effectiveness of chemo?  Here's the thing.  There really isn't a relationship between my numbers improving and handing chemo.  Well, if I wasn't so strong, they couldn't give me as much chemo.  The key is reducing leukemia in bone marrow.  They may check again in a week to see if I am making progress.

How long do I stay?  3 weeks from first chemo, say go home maybe June 21, depending totally on how effective it worked.

Life expectancy?  There are a few other cases.  If chemo doesn't reach total remission, we'll know within the first year and life expectancy would be about two years. On the other hand, if bone marrow biopsy shows great results, I can do much better.

Pathologist - my cancer cells are not all not ALL, but very similar.  They call it Follicular Lymphoma with blastoid  transformation.  They will treat it the same.

Do bone marrow year later, maybe.

Immune system will be low for two weeks...first round.  Second, my numbers will be better, so in hospital for 3-5 days.  4-8 rounds of chemo, depending on transplant.

Side affects may begin days 7-8 and last a couple weeks.

No studies.  Few other cases.  Some with good outcomes.  No randomized studies. Chromosomes- no double hits .  I do have marker for myc, more aggressive marker.

Get cured and get over it with first two years years, or probably die.  Should know by end of first year.

No comments:

Post a Comment