Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saturday, June 21

Wednesday night I went out to eat at la Hacienda Ranch with my three close ultra running buddies:  Drew, who just finished two 100-mile training weeks, Fred, who just completed the Bryce Canyon 50-miler, and Mark, who is now cross-training in the pool (although he doesn't have enough body fat to stay on the surface of the water).  As you can see they wore ridiculous looking bald tops in sympathy with my new chemo look.  Needless to say we got a few stares during dinner.  We always debate who's turn it is to buy.  I chimed in with, "If you ever want me to pay, you better collect it now."  It got a laugh an insured I didn't have to pay.

It's been nice to be home.  I've had to drop by the UT Southwestern clinic the past two days.  Yesterday the doc ordered a bone marrow biopsy/aspiration so she could determine if the chemo is working.  So a doctor drilled two new holes in my hip with a power drill and pulled out marrow, blood and a piece of bone.  After they deaden the site with a shot, the procedure is no big deal.  However, I set a new PR.  They checked vitals when it was over and my pulse hit 234, before it steadily fell to the 135 range.  A few minutes later and it was more like 90 and everyone relaxed.  It's weird.  I just get so tired and winded.  I walked up the stairs to the clinic and checked in. The receptionist was pretty concerned with my breathing, "Sir, are you ok?"  Yep, but I needed to sit down.  I took a long nap when I got home.

I go back into the hospital on Monday for 4-5 days of more chemo.  The most important health hurdle is my day-30 bone marrow biopsy.  Did the chemo kill the leukemia and put me in remission, or is the leukemia not chemo sensitive, which would mean I'm in trouble.  I assume yesterday's biopsy is important, but I don't expect to hear any news until Monday.  Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer.  It won't matter if I find a suitable bone marrow doner if they can't put me in remission.

Sherry and I will go to Gateway Church this afternoon.  I'm looking forward to it, but need to rest up this afternoon.

Love.


2 comments:

  1. Doug and Sherry - David and I are and have been sending prayers and hugs ! I've been reading your posts here and what a blessing and encouragement your words have been. We love you guys and are believing with you that God is in the midst of our trials and tribulations. He is Faithful, Strong and Amazing ! Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayng for you daily... God is in charge!!

    ReplyDelete