Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday, June 10

My ANC is still zero.  They say it will stay there 4-5 days, but once it begins to move it typically jumps. Get it above 500 and they will let me go.

What are the odds of finding a match on the national bone marrow database?  Between 30-50%.   As an adult, chemo can chase away leukemia, but the odds are high that it will come back.  Survival depends on finding a match. They do transplants after about a year.

Could my brother Don be a bone marrow match?  We didn't think so, because we're different blood types.  The doc said that doesn't matter.  We must match tissue samples and the odds are 1 in 4.  It's nice to have that option still on the table.  Thanks Don.

Dang it!  My weight fell off another two pounds to 174.4.  I'm eating a lot again, but they can tell I'm still not drinking enough.  I was admitted at 191, so I've lost 16.6 pounds, which is a little fat and a lot of muscle mass.  Bottom line- I traded fitness for handling the chemo so well.  Good trade.

I slept ok early last night, but better during the morning hours.  The chemo nightmares are long gone.

1 comment:

  1. Doug, I have been praying for you... been reading your blog, what an awesome attitude you have. I may not fully understand the difficulties you are going through, but you are truly an inspiration to many you don't even know regarding your faith. God is good. Take care, keep blogging and continue the upward look! Randal Mitchell

    ReplyDelete