Saturday, June 7, 2014

June 7: Another Tough Night Sleeping

Doc reported my ANC was 100; it was 400 yesterday.  ANC are the white blood cells that fight infection.  The chemo kills them down to near zero and I have to then grow them back to 500 to get released.  So it sounds like the ANC is acting normal.  It will just take time.  They just watch me closely to insure I don't get an infection.

I weighed in at 178.5 pounds today.

I eventually got out of my room mid-afternoon and rode an hour on the hospital stationary bike.  It took more effort than the previous day.  I had to take a couple short breaks.  My running shorts and shirt were wet with sweat.  I felt pretty puny after that.

I saw my wife's brother and family, which was fun.  They are off to Disneyland today.

Katie and Ike called to say they were coming over but I asked them to pass.  I just started getting a headache and felt tired.

By far the hardest part of this process is sleeping.  The bed doesn't help.  One has to sort of pick one side of the axle that runs down the middle, which raises and lowers the bed.  I had one bad dream after another, sort of like train cars interrupted by peeing.  The dreams are different, but the same.  I'm always ill, someone is always around to assist me, I end up lost and eventually physically trapped somewhere.  This is just chemo and a poor ability to simply roll over, but it is very annoying.  I also had several nurse/lab tech interuptions between 5:00 and 7:00 a.m.  The doc said they were going to reduce the blood the blood draws to once a day which will cut down on interuptions.  They let me sleep till 8:00 which was great.

My brother, Don, and Sherry will come around 1:00.  I've requested Arby's.


No comments:

Post a Comment