Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sat. Mid-day update

Dr Williams, head of Neurology Dept, and another smart woman doc just left.  They tell me that Norco and morphine are the wrong drugs to treat nerve pain.  Well, I concur.  They are going to increase my Teppra dosage.  Anything that reduces my pain level would be greatly appreciated.

I met with the speech therapist this morning analyze my swallowing.  She ordered a Barium x-ray of my swallowing, which should happen today.  Until then I can't eat.  Sometimes when I eat and have trouble swallowing I aspirate food particles into my lungs, which increases the risk of catching pneumonia.  I already have weekly x-rays of my lungs to insure I am not contracting it.

Dr Anderson just drop by to fill me in on what he knows.  We are really waiting for the biopsy to give some the marching orders.  There are two likely outcomes from the biopsy: 1) evidence of HVGD is found. Under this scenario, they give me lots of steroids and suppressants.  2)  The biopsy finds evidence of leukemia hiding in the nerves.  They then do the opposite course of action from HVGD.  So the doctors need to know if it's HVGD or the return of the leukemia.  Treatment should start   Tuesday next week.  Return of cancer is worst outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment