Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sat. morning update

I saw one of my neurologists.  Some of my neuropathy is likely from very heavy chemo in hospital and could be (read likely to be) permanent, such as numbness in arms and hands.  I needed that 'sledge hammer' chemo to get me this far, so there's no reason to whine about it now.  The motor problems (not being able to raise left arm) are likely caused by a vascular problem, leukemia hiding in nerves, or HVGD.  They will do an MRI of leg, that shows all kinds of nerve damage, to identify where to do the nerve biopsy.  Because of the totally random nature of nerves being targeted, it is considered 'patchy'.  They do not want to cut nerve under arm under any circumstances; there are just to many things going on there to risk it.  Once they biopsy the nerve, they should know what's happening.  Bad news would be a return of leukemia.

I asked about a morphine pump, but was told morphine really doesn't do anything for this kind of pain.  There is room to really increase the Keppra drug dosage, which should help get me through the nights.

I went for MRI, but it turns out I needed to be on the other machine, which was busy.  It will get rescheduled later today or tomorrow.

Permanent nerve damage or not, my goal is to be healed, to walk, or limp away, cancer free.

No comments:

Post a Comment